3.8.14

Tracking the Future

Without really knowing, during my last trip to Chicago, I found tracks of the future. Friday morning. I started the drive with half a tank of gas and the mission of arriving on time to the Howard Brown Center in Chicago (122 miles away). Beautiful sunrise: the Midwest.

electric charger
My first stop was at a Seven Eleven somewhere between Indiana and Illinois. Nature made her second call with a cool morning shower that only helped us to get dirty. I found there the first electric charging station I’ve ever seen in real life. Eleven gasoline pumps; 5 diesel pumps, and one electric charger. The future is slow but determine.

After my appointment with Joe, a blue eye, long beard, heavily inked in black nurse, I went to break the fast. It is difficult to decide where to eat in a big city like Chicago; there are so many options and so many opinions. So I simply did a google search from my phone “best diners Chicago” and I chose the one that was within a 3 mile distance: The Chicago Diner. To my surprise the first word I saw written in their menu was “Sustainability”. Is the universe trying to play games with me? Is the universe remanding me that I need to do my homework?—I thought.  “Featuring local, seasonal ingredients and produce. Eco-friendly cleaning products. Bio-degradable to-go containers. Bio-diesel conversion of waste oil. FSC and Rainforest Alliance certified office paper”. Meat free. The future seemed to be planing my breakfast. I went on reading, “Logan Square location also features: US Green Building Council LEED Gold certification. High efficiency equipment and appliances. Recycled building materials, low landfill impact. Reclaimed wood for doors, bartop and other fixtures”. Impressive. I gotta say those were the best organic, free range, non-GMO, gluten free, local, green, chilaquiles I have ever tried (and I am Mexican so that is something!).
the chicago dinerthe chicago diner


Before hitting home, me and my partner stopped at IKEA to get some small things. Surprise! what do you see as soon as the electric doors allow you to enter? A huge picture of what it looks like an infinite solar panel farm. What is it? The roof. IKEA has made the commitment to respect nature, work together with nature, make profit without destroying nature and supporting sustainable development that secures the future of the next generations. Being solar energized is just one piece of their commitment. While walking through the store-maze you can find other informative posters about their efforts to move towards the future. The most surprising to me was a display of videos teaching shoppers why LED lighting is better than anything we have invented today. The videos are good, but the fact that you can buy LED light bulbs for 4 dollars is even better!

ikea solar panels

I guess most people go about days like this one without paying attention to such details. Their immediate thoughts and worries might be more relevant. But I also imagine that some people chase these tracks, engage with them and follow them. Personally, I want to be a follower of this kind of future; I want to build it and celebrate it.

dog
yoko and me
I arrived home late and tired of driving under the rain and between the heavy traffic of the big city. I noticed it did not rain here, and our vegetable garden was complaining. After opening the drip irrigation system, Yoko, my best friend, looked at me with those eyes nature has (similar to Joe’s blue eyes). He wanted to get his exercise, his discipline, his affection. Nature has no mystery. We just complicate things.


For a sustainable future, I wish you many days like this one.

No hay comentarios.: